- Ayurveda – Literally means “life-Knowledge”. It is a form of alternative medicine, which is native to the Indian Subcontinent. It comprises of a developed number of medicinal preparations and surgical procedures for treatment of various ailments. Ayurveda is presently integrated into the Indian National health care system with state of the art developed Ayurveda hospitals across the country.
- Ayurveda is based on the principle that the universe is made up of five elements; air, water, earth, fire and ether. These elements are represented by three “doshas” or energies; Vata, Pitta and Kapha. When any of these energies or “doshas” accumulates in the body beyond the desirable limit, the body looses balance.
- It is now practiced all over the world and mainly follows “the science eight components”:
- General Medicine – Kaya Chikitsa: Cure of diseases affecting the body.
- Pediatrics – Kaumara Bhrtya: Treatment of Children
- Surgery – Shalya Chikitsa: Removal of any substance, which has entered the body.
- Toxicology – Agada Tantra: Doctrine of antidotes.
- Anti Ageing – Rasayana Tantra: Doctrine of Lengthening life span.
- Aphrodisiacs – Vajikara Tantra
- Demonology/Exorcism/Psychiatry – Bhoot Vidya: Treatment of mental diseases.
- Opthalomology/ENT/Dentistry – Salakya tantra: Cure of diseases of ear, eye, nose, ear and teeth using sharp instruments.
- It is commonly followed in a few countries like Nepal, Sri Lanka and also spread to parts of America and Europe.
- It is mainly diagnosed using 8 ways; Nadi (pulse), Mootra (urine), Mala (stool), Jivha (tongue), Shabda (Speech), Sparsha (touch), Druk (vision) and Aakruti (appearance).
- The treatments are commonly done on two main aims:
- Treatment and health protection – The Ayurvedic theory emphasizes that healthy metabolism, attaining good digestion and proper excretion lead to vitality. Ayurveda focuses on yoga, meditation and satvic diet.
- Natural Medical Substances Used – Ayurveda stresses on use of plant-based products extracted from bark, stems, fruits, leaves, seeds and roots.
|It is commonly used to treat the following illnesses:|
|Fever||Tumours||Release of fluid form abdomen|
|Cough||Skin diseases such as leprosy||Extraction of foreign elements|
|Diarrhoea||Diabetes||Treat Anal fistula|
|Abscess||Stones||General wellness and wellbeing.|
|Seizures||Cataract surgeries||And some other ailments and conditions.|