Surgery done to treat many diseases, injuries and defects in the region of head, neck, face, jaw, teeth and other soft and hard tissues of oral region. It is a very well recognized speciality of dentistry and not everyone dentist is able to perform the procedures. The newer techniques typically involve using a microscope and fiber optics. The major forms of treatment may include:
- Dentoalveolar: The surgeries involve removal of impacted teeth, difficult tooth extractions, extractions on medically compromised patients, bone grafting, etc. with a main aim to provide better anatomy of dental implants, prosthesis and dentures.
- It has also been developed to attach implants such as bone-anchored hearing aids.
- Cosmetic surgery of head & Neck such as facelift, browlift, otoplasty, rhinoplasty, septoplasty, neck liposuction, lip enhancement, cheek augmentation, Botox etc.
- Surgical treatments for sleep apnea, maxillomandibular advancement etc.
- Diagnosis and treatment of tumours, cysts, head & neck cancer, congenital craniofacial malformations such as cleft lip, palate, facial pain disorders, temporomandibular joint disorders, jaw fractures, nasal fractures, skull fractures etc.
Root Canal Treatment or Endodontic Therapy
It is a sequence of treatments done to treat infection of pulp of tooth from microbial invasion, involving removal of infection and protecting from future infection.It typically involves removal of infected structures, re-shaping, cleaning, decontamination of the hollows with files and irrigating solutions and finally filling it with resins, or cements.
- As a conventional form of treatment where liquids and chemicals were used for preparing the tooth air abrasion is a relatively now used as a sand blaster, it potentially uses stream of air and abrasive particles which removes the tooth decay and tooth structure in a gentle and efficient manner.
- Endolase is the use of laser energy in a radial pattern radiated from Endotips for pinpoint precision to clear away the infection. It is useful as it completes cycle in 2-3 minutes as compared to older methods, which consumed 20-30 mins per tooth. Another advantage of this technique is that, it protects and conserves the tooth structure.
Detection of Cavity using Laser
A newer form of technique which can detect cavities using laser light and it’s properties of penetration. It helps in detection of up to 90 % of cavities with detection of cavities even smaller than 1/3rd of the tooth, which are very difficult to detect by conventional methods.
A support system for regaining a confident smile.Earlier dentures were developed using impressions developed from maxillary and mandibular arches. Today, they are digitally designed for precision fitting using digital imaging. This mainly combines a set of images, which are later used to create a copy of the set of teeth.
Bridges/Caps/Crowns/Fillings/Implants using CEREC Technology
Done to restore dental integrity, function and morphology of missing tooth structure. The newer techniques aim at reducing the time required to perform the treatment and use of newer materials such as ceramic. It also involves digital imaging scans, which are combined, and then a computer aided manufacturing technique is used to develop a precise dental implant.
Procedure done to remove stains and restore the natural colour of the teeth. The teeth are treated using laser while protecting the soft tissues with beeswax. Apart from the advantage of non-painful and non-inflammatory technique, it also uses less time as compared to previous technique of bleaching.
Needleless & Painless Gum disease treatment using laser techniques for detection, removal and treatment of gum infections. The laser used gently disinfects and evaporates diseased tissue from around the tooth and inside the gum pocket. The advantage of this technique is that it is gentle, quick and quick recovery.